Embracing Freedom

Embracing Freedom. Grace is my story. Hope is my anchor. Joy is my strength. Laughter is my song.

Monday 11 February 2013

When LIGHT pervades darkness - answered prayer

I have a bit of a routine when I take my son Zac to educare (daycare) each morning. I travel the same roads at around about the same time each morning and pray a similar prayer at the same point of the 6 minute journey.

You see, towards the end of last year, The Headhunters motorcycle gang took over a warehouse in Upper Hutt and began to convert it into a cage fighting club. They said their aim was to help at risk youth, although some of us questioned whether the real intent was to recruit. In fact as time went on, it became apparent that they were indeed recruiting some of the more vulnerable 'at risk' youth in our community. In the same building they were opened a debt collection agency with the slogan "You know you owe, so pay or pray" Because of our work in the community we heard about the way in which the headhunters were collecting the debts and it's fair to say their methods are not always just, fair or humane. Tensions were increasing between the local mongrel mob gang and the headhunters gang, and it seemed only a matter of time before the two would collide.

Needless to say, the arrival of the headhunters was not well received in the Upper Hutt community, and the idea of a cage fighting club went down like a lead balloon! We certainly made it a topic of prayer within our church community as did many of the other churches in Upper Hutt.

Each morning, when I drove past the cage fighting club I prayed for it's closure. I prayed that light would pervade darkness. Because darkness can't be present where there is light. I prayed that the Kingdom of God would be established here on Earth as in Heaven. I prayed that this place of  injustice and destruction would be closed down and conquered for the glory of God and for the furthering of His kingdom, reign and rule.

Imagine my surprise this morning when as I went about my usual routine and the cage fighting warehouse had been TRANSFORMED. Signage had been REMOVED, the place was totally EMPTY and in the window a "FOR LEASE" sign!


I shouted out a big fat loud "WAHOOOOO"
Zac piped up from the back seat "Mummy, why are you yelling?"
"Because I'm excited"
"Why are you excited"
"Because I think Jesus has answered a prayer"
"Please don't yell that loudly Mummy, it hurts my ears" was his simple 3 year old reply.

My prayer was different this morning. A prayer of thanks. A prayer celebrating answered prayer and victory. Victory because light has pervaded darkness. Victory because we have taken ground from the kingdom of darkness for the Kingdom of God in our community. WHOOOO!

I'm not naive, I know that it wasn't my prayers alone that caused the closure of that place.

 It was the prayers of many faithful followers of Christ who know the power and authority they have when they pray in the name of Jesus.
When they claim the promises in Gods word.
When they pray "Let your kingdom come, let your will be done on Earth as it is in heaven."

I also know that action accompanied prayer. Letters were written to the council, there was definitely uproar, and while I don't know the details around the closure yet, I know our prayers played a massively significant role!

There is still uncertainty around whether the headhunters plan to open elsewhere, so it remains a topic for prayer, let Gods Kingdom come, to Earth as is in Heaven!

Prayer has power. It changes things.

To pervade the kingdom of darkness with the kingdom of light, love, life, freedom, truth and hope!
Lord let your Kingdom come!

Itsy.Bitsy.SamMe

P.S: When Jesus spoke again to the people, he said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life." John 8:12

1 comment: