Embracing Freedom

Embracing Freedom. Grace is my story. Hope is my anchor. Joy is my strength. Laughter is my song.

Wednesday 13 February 2013

Valentines Schmelentines!

I used to hate Fathers day, with a passion! Before I was born my Father relinquished all responsibility and took off not to be seen again until I met him around the age of 20 (but that's another story). Fathers day was like a kick in the guts every time it rolled around. It reminded me of what I didn't have. What I was missing. It was a painful reminder that I didn't have a daddy who could tuck me in at night, cuddle me when I got hurt, and treat me like a princess. Every year the same old feelings of rejection, abandonment, hurt pain and fear would resurface.

For the past couple of weeks as valentines day has approached plastic roses have invaded shop frontage, pink paper hearts dominated store windows, 'luuurve' themed cups, t-shirts, photo frames, monkeys, vases and pretty much what ever else you can think of under the sun is on 'sale', every second advertisement on TV is about the incredible piece of jewellery you can purchase for that special someone. (urgh, and we easily get sucked in by it all and buy into this culture of consumerism).

Every where you turn, there are red hearts, white hearts, pink hearts, happy hearts, excited hearts ... broken hearts. Seriously, valentines day stinks for some people! Just like Fathers day stunk for me when I was a kid, Valentines day really stinks for some.

It stirs up all kinds of thoughts and emotions. It's that yearly reminder ...
"I'm not good enough."
"No one will ever love me."
"I'm unlovable"
"I'm worthless"
"I'm rejected"
"I've been abandoned"
"No one cares"
"Will it ever happen for me?"
"What's wrong with me?"

For some it refuels a desire and creates a desperation, a desire for something more and they settle for less than they deserve.

For some it's a painful reminder of loss, a reminder of something they once had, but is no more.

I don't know if you have a date for valentines day today, if you are someones valentine or not, if you received a dozen roses this morning, or a gift pack full of bath bombs and chocolate or not. What I do know is you are not alone and you are not forgotten. You are loved. You are chosen. You are wanted. You are accepted. Immense in mercy and with an incredible love, the creator of the universe wants to embrace you (Eph 2:4 The message).

When you feel unloved, alone, dismissed, patronised, rejected, abandoned, ignored, forgotten or inferior, God (who is love) sees you, meet him in the secret place. He will love, accept, comfort, acknowledge, affirm, recognise you and reveal to you your identity.
Sounds like the best valentines day date ever to me!
The LORD your God is in your midst, a mighty one who will save; he will rejoice over you with gladness; he will quiet you by his love; he will exult over you with loud singing. Zephaniah 3:17
Itsy.Bitsy thoughts from SamMe

"My dear children, let’s not just talk about love; let’s practise real love. This is the only way we’ll know we’re living truly, living in God’s reality. It’s also the way to shut down debilitating self-criticism, even when there is something to it. For God is greater than our worried hearts and knows more about us than we do ourselves." 1 John 3:18-19

No comments:

Post a Comment