Embracing Freedom

Embracing Freedom. Grace is my story. Hope is my anchor. Joy is my strength. Laughter is my song.

Friday 14 March 2014

Unconventional Generous Joy

There is a clothes rack, full of clothes drying. Clothes in the machine that haven't been hung out yet. Piles of folded washing sit on the table, yet to be put away. A mountain of dry washing sits in the basket. It's looking a little more like Everest with each hour that passes. Toys cover the floor, placed ever so carefully by my two year old, it's where they belong. The breakfast dishes still sit on the bench. Shelves to dust. Vacuuming to be done...


And we sit. Together. In our PJ's, on the floor, watching a movie. The kids snuggle up close to me. It's so precious. They are generous with their cuddles these days. I have to remind myself to treasure these moments, because it will pass before I know it. That's what everyone says.



They are generous with their joy too. With what seems like the smallest thing to me, their excitement overwhelms them, and they jump, and scream, and dance, and sing. It's uncontainable, uncontrollable, unconventional, they can't help but express it, they can't help but share it.

And all to often, I shush them. My look, my tone says it all. Trying to persuade them to contain it, expecting the impossible. But one day they'll learn. And they might just suppress that joy. And they might just lose that joy.

That's the last thing I want.

I have much to learn. Children are so generous with their joy. They exude it.

"the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these." - Jesus

Sometimes I miss it, and sometimes I take hold of it, and cling to it for all it's worth. While the piles of clothes and mountain of unfolded washing sits, and the dishes remain unwashed.

For the afternoon we come up with a plan to share some joy, to be generous and make others happy.

As we prepare the kids become excited; and they jump, and scream, and dance, and sing. It's uncontainable, uncontrollable, unconventional ... and it's fun.







And soon, there is a park full of children with balloons. Joyous children. Running, and playing, and jumping, and screaming, and dancing and singing. And the teenagers ... they surprise me, they are determined not to miss out, and come over asking, if perhaps ... they could have a balloon each too.




Such generosity. Such joy. Such fun.

And as the day draws to an end, Zac shares his highlight ... "Giving the balloons to the other kids at the park, it made me happy"

Giving made him happy.

"the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these."


If you liked this, don't forget to sign up with your email to get Itsy Bitsy delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up at the top right of this page :) 


Have you heard about 40 acts of generosity? It's a way of participating in lent generously ... check it out here. 

2 comments:

  1. That's so fantastic Zac, ka pai, guys keep on giving generously your children are so blessed, and have a kind generous honest spirit. I love it, almost made me cry when I read Zacs highlight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So beautiful aye Kim, we've got so much to learn from children. Honesty, Gratitude, humility, generosity, simplicity ... the list goes on :)

      Delete