Embracing Freedom

Embracing Freedom. Grace is my story. Hope is my anchor. Joy is my strength. Laughter is my song.

Saturday 11 May 2013

Joy, Pain and Influence on Mothers Day

I have been blessed with two incredible children who are absoloute miracles to our family. I love them and am so thankful to be their Mum. I've also been blessed with a fab Mum who I am soooo grateful for ... But I don't need a special day to tell her I love her, (I know, I know, party pooper!) every time I speak to Mum on the phone or skype I tell her and I try to tell her regularly "Thank you".

For many people Mothers Day is an opportunity to do lunch, to buy and receive gifts, to catch up, a time of grateful remembrance. For others, let’s face it, it’s a painful time, a time where the agony of broken relationships resurface, where the memories of what wasn’t invade our thinking, where the searing loss and grief of mothers past re-emerge, and for those who have never had the opportunity to be called “Mum” it can be like a big kick in the guts.

So I've been thinking about what I want 'Mothers Day' to look like in our home, in our wee family unit of four. There will be no gifts. For us, as the years go by, it will be about celebrating the women of influence in our lives, which will undoubtedly include our mothers, but not be limited to them. We will celebrate Grandmothers, Aunties, school teachers, church leaders, mentors, and friends.

Today my children will be making cards, or something, to say thank you to the women who invest into their lives regularly. We will talk about and celebrate the women who influence them, encourage them, cuddle them, kiss them, and care for them as they grow and develop. 

As I reflect, the women of influence in my own life are many. I am incredibly blessed.

Today I celebrate, honor and thank the women who have influenced my life. Those who have loved me, mothered me, mentored me, challenged me, encouraged me, pushed me and inspired me. Those who have laughed with me, shed tears with me, prayed with me and for me, especially in the times I couldn’t pray myself. Those who have exampled courage, determination, patience, grace, faithfulness, integrity and innovation to me. To those who have demonstrated the loving, caring, nurturing heart of God, who have given their all, who have sacrificed and loved to the truest extent, I am forever grateful!

Much love and grace!

Sammy





(The intention of this post isn't to minimise the work, sacrifice or love of our mums, but to get us thinking in a broader sense about the women of influence in our lives, we should be honoring and thanking our mums everyday anyway)

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful post Sammy. Lynnaire had read it to me when they stayed here over the weekend. I just knew I wanted to be inspired and you have the wonderful way with words to build up and encourage. God bless you sweetheart! Sandra in Tauranga

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sandra, so nice to hear from you, and good to be facebook friends now too :) Thanks for the encouragement, and so glad you were inspired! xo

    ReplyDelete