Embracing Freedom

Embracing Freedom. Grace is my story. Hope is my anchor. Joy is my strength. Laughter is my song.

Thursday 27 February 2014

5 minute Friday - Choose


Choose. GO.

Every day I choose. I choose what to wear. I choose what to eat. I choose to get out of bed. And I choose to fight. Because there are so many who don’t get to choose. Because of where they were born, the family they were born into, their circumstance, they don’t face the same choices I face each day. Their choices are between life and death. And I can choose to be ignorant to the struggles others are facing each day, or I can choose to be informed, and I can choose to fight. On behalf of the marginalized, the oppressed, the ‘nobody’. 



Yesterday was the 27th of Feb, a day to remember and spark conversation about 27 million people in slavery around the world by marking our hands with an X and sharing stories on facebook and twitter with #enditmovement. A statement that we choose not to let this go on anymore. We choose to make a difference. We choose to see change in the world.


STOP. 


This post is a part of 5 minute Friday, where people all over the world write for five minutes flat inspired by the same word, and connect over Facebook and Twitter.

No extreme editing; no worrying about perfect grammar, font, or punctuation.
Unscripted. Unedited. Real.
It's not about writing a a perfect post, or a profound post, just five minutes of focused writing.
So now on Fridays a group of people who love to throw caution to the wind and just write without worrying if it’s just right gather to share what five minutes buys them. Just five minutes.

4 comments:

  1. Hey Sammy, visiting from FMF. Great reminder, even though there's only "one official day" per day, we shouldn't forget about the 27 million year round. Keep up the red X (mine's still there...:)). Greetings to NZ (from Germany)!
    - Katha (http://thisiskatha.blogspot.de/2014/02/five-minute-friday-choose.html)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool, thanks for visiting Katha! It's amazing how many conversations the Red X has started, fabulous way to increase awareness.
      Sammy.

      Delete
  2. This is so true. It really is vital that when we have voices, and the freedom to use them, that we do use them for those who don't and can't...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I admire that you participated. I pray that all of us with a voice use it to make a difference. We can choose to do right by each other. Bless you.

    ReplyDelete