Embracing Freedom

Embracing Freedom. Grace is my story. Hope is my anchor. Joy is my strength. Laughter is my song.

Friday 21 September 2012

Jumping in Puddles, Poohs, Wees, Toilet Paper, and Bibs

 
There's something to be said about the simplicity and joy in the life of a toddler. My kids have reminded me and taught me that time and time again.


Our kiddlywinks jumping in puddles during our recent holiday in Taupo

I remember taking Zac to the park last year sometime ... he was probably 2 at the time. As soon as he got out of the car, he bee-lined for the nearest puddle ... I ran and grabbed him just before he got there! I swooped him up, and said "No Zachy, you'll get all wet if you jump in the puddle." We ventured to the park and played on the swings, slides ... well actually I watched him play. As I sat there I thought about how quick I was to pull him out of the puddle, and I began to question why I'd done it. What's wrong with jumping in puddles, who cares if we get wet, we can always go home and change later. He was absolutely loving climbing and sliding, he was giggling away and I just thought ... JOY! He is full of Joy. That's what his life consists of, and sometimes I get so busy, and am in a constant rush, I don't stop to jump in the puddles. At that moment, I called Zac over and we made our way back to that first delightful puddle that enticed him when we first arrived. And we jumped in it! It was fun. We got wet. We laughed. We splashed each other. We got muddy. It was exciting. It was delightful. It was joyful.



Then I looked across the park and saw a field full of trees and fallen autumn leaves. It was like I was a child again and they were calling me to go and play, so we did. We threw leaves at each other. We threw them in the air and danced under them. We ran and chased. We kicked them. We played.

I love how it's in a child's nature to gravitate to the things that bring joy. Often I'm quick to pull them back, but a lot of the time, I actually just need to let them be, and more often than not, I need to join them! I don't want to squash my children's joy, I want them to embrace it and grow in it.

There is so much research on the positive effects of play for children, it enhances brain development and helps them make sense of the world, and it's great for bonding and building our own relationship with them. I believe play goes much deeper and is good for their soul.

Some of the things we like to do with the kids are:
  • Make indoor obstacle courses with furniture (so much fun on a rainy day)
  • Grab ALL the pillows and cushions in the house, pile them up in the lounge and make a mountain, we climb the mountain, wrestle and jump all over it.

    Zachy and his best buddy climbing Pillow Mountain
  • Build indoor slides (with our coffee table)
  • Build forts with blankets
  • Rough and tumble on the floor (which almost always ends in tears when it's with Daddy)
  • We encourage imagination by making up stories together, we give Zachy 3 things to make up a story about (Eg: tell us a story about a pink elephant, 10 balloons, and Elmo). Some of the things he comes up with are hilarious.
  • Baking, play dough, finger painting etc.
Fridays are our day off, and we've renamed them Funday. Because we work during the week and during the weekend, we guard our day off and treasure the dedicated time with our kids. We always try to get out and about. Today was a beautiful day, so we drove into Wellington and hired a croc-o-cycle.

Riding a Crocodile on Funday!
We picnic'd together and played at a park. Sometimes we go swimming, other times we go to junglerama, some days we just veg out, play games and watch DVDs but Fridays are always Fundays. In fact last week, Brenton got Zac up, and the first thing Zac said was "Yay! It's our day off!"


Even now, with the kids tucked up in bed Brenton and I are having a giggle. Yesterday Zac had been to the toilet, and came into me and the conversation went a little like this:
Z: Mummy, I put my thing in the toilet (with a massive grin on his face)
M: Your what? Your wees?
Z: No, my ... ummm, my... ummm, ahhhh, my
M: What Zachy? What did you put in the toilet?
Z: My, ahhh, shape?
M: Your shape? Whats your shape?
I walked into the toilet to see what he was talking about, and the toilet bowl was empty
M:Zachy, did you put something in the toilet and flush?
Z: Yeeeaaaah (Nodding proudly)
As we were walking back into the lounge I kept asking what it was, and he couldn't tell me. Eventually he walked over and pointed to the draw we keep the bibs in
Z: I got it out of there!
M: A bib? did you flush a bib?
Z: Yeah ... I did (still grinning)
M: Zachy, we don't flush bibs, the toilet might stop working. (I was trying unsuccessfully not to laugh.)

I forgot to tell Brenton this story. Tonight Brenton had a conversation with Zac, while he waited for Zac to do wees on the toilet before bed. Their conversation went a bit like this.
B: You doin OK?
Z: Yep. I put my bib in the toilet
B: No you didn't, you've still got it around your neck.
Z: Yes I did
B: Do you mean the downstairs toilet?
Z: Yes, and it's gone!
B: Ohhh Zachy! Zachy, only three things go in the toilet: Poohs, wees and toilet paper. Do you understand?
Z: Yup (very thoughtfully, sitting on the toilet he started to count with his fingers) Poohs, Wees, Toilet paper. (A few moments of silence, and he shows all his fingers) AND BIBS!

The kid has comic timing, he is full of joy and brings us joy! Our children's play and experimentation
 helps them understand the world, helps their brain develop. Some of the greatest life lessons I have learnt, have been from my children in the last 3 years! As a parent, I see my role as one of nurturing, loving, providing, guiding and teaching (to name a few). But I don't see my 'teaching' role as a one way street! My kids have so much to teach me, if I'm open and willing to learn from them, and I am.

What funny things have your kids done, that you've HAD to laugh about?
How do you play with your kids? What do you do to keep life fun for them?
What's the greatest lesson you've learnt from your kids?
Share your ideas and thoughts in the comments below, I'd love some new things to try with our kids.

My final Itsy Bitsy thoughts on parenting. (For a while anyway) 

No comments:

Post a Comment